- Transfer pricing expertise in taxation is best learned from MNCs which structure their transactions carefully to minimize tax impact. For example, News Corp, GE, Reliance(now)
- Mass training can be mastered from those in industries with high standardization & attrition(retail, telecom, IT) or those with regulatory compulsions(banking)
- Segmentation in marketing can be best picked up from telecom companies, Google(which even gets location based information!!) etc
- Physical distribution masters are the FMCG companies
- Get forecasting skills from industries with wafer thin margins like commodities, FMCG,retail.
- Learn project financing/execution skills/compliance from infrastructure companies which successfully navigate a web of SPVs
Monday, April 25, 2011
Learn from the best-select industries for their good practices
While poring through several annual reports and cases, it struck me that certain functional expertise is fungible across industries. Once I kept an eye out for such cases, a large number of examples struck me which I am sharing in this post. They do seem obvious once mentioned but in simplicity is beauty. Any feedback is appreciated.